Recruiting News & Notes
It’s been a busy week on the recruiting front with a variety of headlines popping up all over the internet. Herer’s a look back at some of the news and notes that are out there this week:
• It remains a two horse race for St. Mark’s senior center Kaleb Tarczewski as Kansas and Arizona continue to battle it out. Now it appears as if both schools will indeed get an official visit. Tarczewski will take an official visit to Kansas for their midnight madness festivities on the weekend of October 15th and then visit Arizona the following weekend.
• Brewster Academy post-graduate forward Jakarr Sampson is taking an official visit to Baylor this weekend according to head coach Jason Smith. Scout.com reports that the Bears are one of the leaders for Sampson’s services along with Kansas, Memphis, and Kentucky. Providence head coach Ed Cooley, Cincinnati head coach Mick Cronin, and St. John’s assistant coach Mike Dunlap have also been to Brewster this week for the athletic forward.
• Kentucky head coach John Calipari was in New England this weekend. He began his trip by visiting Kuran Iverson at Northwest Catholic before making his way to Brewster Academy a day later to check in on Mitch McGary and T.J. Warren. Texas assistant Rob Lanier also visited Northwest Catholic this week.
• Former Bridgton Academy guard Kareem Canty is taking an official visit to Marshall this weekend. The New York native is reportedly down to Marshall and Seton Hall with a decision possibly coming as early as this weekend.
• Phillips Exeter post-graduate forward Connor Green received a scholarship offer from Assumption College according to a tweet from Exeter head coach Jay Tilton on Wednesday. Coaches from Assumption, Rochester, Colby, Cornell, Northeastern, Fairfield, and Albany watched Exeter work out on Tuesday.
• Putnam Science Academy junior guard Dayshon Smith landed his third scholarship offer Robert Morris earlier week. Fairfield and St. Peter’s had offered earlier this fall.
• Suffield Academy hosted Lafayette, Maine, Holy Cross, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, Marist, Dartmouth, Stonehill, Becker, Norwich, and Tufts this week with Lafayette and Maine offering Ben Freeland according to head coach Jeff Depelteau.
• Western Kentucky became the latest school to offer Kaleb Joseph a scholarship according to Cushing head coach Barry Connors. Joseph has landed other offers from Boston College, Fordham, St. Bonaventure, Delaware, and New Hampshire among others.
• Joseph’s Cushing Academy teammate Alex Furness received another scholarship offer last week when Bentley College became the latest school to jump into the Maine native’s recruitment. Furness had earlier offers from Wagner and Assumption.
• Chris McCullough continues to attract a steady dose of high-major coaches to the Salisbury School. This week’s visitors have been headlined by Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Connecticut, and Rutgers to name a few.
• Providence hosted ESPNU 100 big man Chris Obekpa from Our Savior New American in New York for an unofficial visit last weekend according to Alex Kline of the Recruit Scoop.
• Kline is also reporting that the BABC duo of Nerlens Noel and Jaylen Brantley will visit Syracuse next month for their midnight madness festivities.
• Timajh Parker-Rivera took an official visit to Towson last week. He had previously seen Boston University and is also scheduled to take visits to Iona and Temple this fall.
• Brimmer and May junior point guard Adrian Oliveira took an unofficial visit to Quinnipiac while on his way to New Jersey to play in the Hoop Group Fall Jam Fest last weekend.