Ledlum latest 1st year prep product to come off board
Northfield Mount Hermon senior forward Chris Ledlum became the latest first year New England prep product to come off the board on Thursday morning when he made a verbal commitment to Harvard University.
Ledlum is a four-star national forward who sits right on the cusp of the ESPN 100. His recruitment went to brand new levels last spring and summer when he took the Adidas Gauntlet circuit by storm with the New York Jayhawks, landing numerous high-major offers in the process from conferences including the ACC, Big East, and Big Ten.
Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Yale, and Harvard made his final four before committing to Tommy Amaker and the Crimson. Ledlum is now the 8th NMH product to commit to Harvard and 34th to commit to an Ivy League school in the last 11 years.
While this is Ledlum's first year in the NEPSAC, he is no stranger to New England. In fact, he was the MVP of the Super 16 Memorial Day Showcase last May when leading the Jayhawks to a share of the championship.
Ledlum is a physically strong and extremely tough combo-forward with one of the highest motors in the entire country. He plays extremely hard every time he is on the floor, is a natural leader, and is continuing to add to his all-around skill set.
Here's a look at some other first year prep products that have come off the board in recent weeks:
- Brewster Academy senior forward Kai Jones made a verbal commitment to Texas last month. Jones is a late bloomer who is still young for his grade and has a massive upside. He chose the Longhorns over Florida State and Baylor;
- Fellow Brewster Academy forward Anthony Walker committed to Miami a couple of weeks ago. A Maryland native, Walker is another late-bloomer who played on his high school's junior varsity team as recently as two years ago but came on strong this spring with Team BBC on the Adidas Gauntlet circuit;
- Jalen Lecque, one of the most explosive athletes in the entire country, has battled some nagging injuries this fall at Brewster but he committed to N.C. State this fall providing Kevin Keatts with his first five-star pledge;
- Woodstock Academy post-graduate Ody Oguama arrived with low-major recruitment but is now heading back to his home state of North Carolina to play in the ACC with Wake Forest. Oguama has terrific physical tools with length, athleticism, and a rapidly emerging frame;
- Fellow Woodstock Academy big man Tre Williams committed to Indiana State shortly after his arrival. Williams is a broadly built and ultra-efficient player inside of 15 feet who starred for All-Ohio Red in the EYBL.
- Mikal Gjerde, who is in his first season at Woodstock from his native Norway, committed to San Diego in September after landing immediate mid-major recruitment. Gjerde is a skilled big wing with a strong body.
- At Putnam Science Academy, Justin Winston committed to St. Bonaventure, becoming the 3rd Mustang to do so in the last two years. Winston is an athletic forward from New Jersey who previously starred at Immaculate Conception and with the New Jersey Playaz.
- New Hampton post-graduate point guard Tyson Walker, who graduated from Christ the King and previously starred with the New England Playaz, committed to Northeastern last month, providing the Huskies with a true floor general and immediate impact player.
- Brewster Academy forward Alonzo Gaffney and Putnam Science Academy big man Russel Tchewa were committed to Ohio State and Texas Tech respectively at the time of their arrival. Gaffney is a top 30 national prospect and Tchewa is developing but physically gifted big man.